Best of the North West
4 day tour,
Skip the line addmissions, small groups, good guides...
– Day 1 – Istanbul to Gallipoli – (L/D)
Early in the morning we will drive west, skirting the northern shore of the beautiful Sea of Marmara, heading towards the Aegean Sea.
--After our lunch, we will devote our afternoon to visiting Gallipoli, where fierce World War I fighting took place between Allied forces and the Turkish Army. At ANZAC (Australia and New Zealand Armed Corps) Cove, thousands lost their lives on one fateful dawn morning. We'll also visit other famous WWI battles it es and cemeteries in this area, including Lone Pine and Chunuk Bair.
From here, we'll board a ferry and cross the Dardanelles Strait.
*Canakkale will be our final destination for today and where we will spend our evening. After dinner, you might want to stroll the harbor enjoy the sunset. Dinner at the hotel, overnight in Canakkale.
- Day 2 - Canakkale to Assos - (B/L/D)
In the morning we will head east towards Troy.
*Troy (Truva) is the ancient site written about by Homer in the classic Iliad. It dates back to approximately 3,000 BC and has been the site of nine different cities through the thousands of years it has been in existence. Upon entering Troy, a large wooden Trojan horse full-scale reproduction will dominate your view.
From here we will drive south and visit the ancient city of Alexandrias Troas
Alexadrias Troas: In Roman times, it was a significant port for travelling between Anatolia and Europe. Paul of Tarsus sailed for Europe for the first time from Alexandria Troas and returned there from Europe, it was there that the episode of the raising of Eutychus later occurred. Constantine considered making Troas the capital of the Roman Empire.
* Assos is a seaside ancient village where Aristotle lived and opened his famed Academy, and was visited by St. Paul. It is possible to see much of the surrounding area from the top of a Trachyte Crag. From this temple, it is possible to see Lesbos Island in the south, Pergamum to the southeast, and Mount Ida of Phrygia in the east. You will also see the dramatic city gate featuring two massive Hellenic-style columns.
We will spend the night in Assos.
Day 3 - Assos to Pergamum - (B/L)
In the morning we will depart from Assos on a drive to Pergamum.
Upon arrival we will continue on the guided tour of Pergamum, Aslepion and the Ancient Basilica
Sites you'll see today:
* Pergamum is one of the seven churches of Revelation. As the early Christians traveled along the Asian Minor caravan routes, it became one of the largest cities of the area.
The ancient acropolis dominates the view from all around. Most memorable to you will probably be Pergamum's ancient theatre. Carved straight out of the high hill-side, it is one of the steepest ancient theatres in the worldwide the view is amazing. Sites in Pergamum to see include the Acropolis, Asclepion, and Red Basilica.
* Asclepion: south of the Acropolis, down in the valley, was the Sanctuary of Asclepius (also known as the Asclepieion), a place of healing. Here, those with health problems could bathe in the water of the sacred spring, and in the patients' dreams Asclepius would appear in a vision to tell them how to cure their illness.
Notable extant structures in the Asclepieion include: the Roman theater, the North & South Stoa, the Temple of Asclepius, a circular treatment center, a healing spring, an underground passageway, and a library.
After visiting these sites we will spend the night in Pergamum town.
Day 4 - Pergamum to Izmir then to Istanbul - (B)
After breakfast we will provide a transfer to Izmir airport for your 1 hour flight back to Istanbul.
Arriving in Istanbul will be the end of this program.
( Ephesus, Pamukkale and Cappadocia tours can be customized into this itinerary)
Total cost _______ per person in a double room & ______ Euros in a single room
* All hotels (Superior class centrally located hotels)
* All land transfers in comfortable vehicles
* All meals mentioned in the itinerary (B-breakfast, L-lunch & D-dinner)
* Professional, English-speaking tour guides
* Domestic flight tickets from Izmir to Istanbul
* Admission to Gallipoli Museum, Troy, AlexandriasTroas , Assos, Pergamum and Aslepion
* All taxes and service charges
* Drinks with meals