Trabzon & Sumela shore trips
Skip the line admissions to ancient sites and museums
Special small group and private tour rates are available.
guaranteed on-time return to your ship.
Your tour guide will meet you at the harbor - and will be holding a sign with your name on it; you will then begin your guided tour.
After meeting and getting a brief introductory for the day, you will enjoy a full day private tour of Trabzon and Sumela..
Sites you will visit;;
A little about Trabzon:
The earliest evidence of civilization in Trabzon dates back to 7,000 BC. Established as a Greek colony (along with Amasra and Sinop), the town benefited from its position on the busy trade route running between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean. It grew quickly and was a focal point for the Pontic kings. At the beginning of the 13 th century, the Commagene dynasty established its capital at Trabzon. During the Commagene era, the city gained a reputation as a beautiful and sophisticated cultural center. The Genoese and the Venetians came here to trade as Trabzon was the terminus of a northern branch of the Silk Route. In 1461, Trabzon fell under Ottoman rule.
* Sumela Monastery sits high up on the cliffs of Mela, southeast of Trabzon. It was founded in the 4th century by two Greek monks, Barnabas and Sophronius, who were guided to the site by an icon of a "black" image of the Virgin Mary, elegantly painted by St. Luke. After their deaths, Sumela became a place of pilgrimage. Decorated with frescoes, Sumela's treasures include priceless manuscripts and silver plates. Since the monastery was rebuilt several times, the ruins seen today date largely to the 19th century. During the Ottoman era, Sumela enjoyed the protection of the sultans, but it was ultimately abandoned and also badly-damaged during the War of Independence. In recent years, thankfully, extensive restoration has been carried out.
After the tour, we will provide a transfer to the harbor.
*** Tour ends ***
Cost: _______ Euro - (estimate for this tour is given upon request -
please e-mail us your dates and how many people in your party.)
* Pick-up and drop-off from harbor w/ comfortable vans
* Professional, English-speaking tour guides
* Skip the line admissions to ancient sites
* All tax and service charges